Trying something new- I will give you my breakdowns on the match-ups including each players weaknesses and strengths. Post to my twitter @nickbollettieri your thoughts and predictions
Venus Williams Vs. Maria Sharapova
This match will be watched so closely that many will think it is the super bowl. We are all aware that Venus has experienced very difficult times with her health, which has affected one of her strong factors in her game; movement. She played in a warmup tournament the week before and clearly showed some of her previous balance.
Maria is #2 in the world and shows no signs of letting up or her shoulder injury. Both of these girls play close to the baseline and for the most part play very aggressively. If Venus can regain her serve, move well, and attack the net the match will be something to watch.
Maria will hit hard and flat to every inch of the court, that is her style and she is tough as nails. The second serve of Sharapova must be attacked by Venus
Heather Watson Vs. Agnieszka Radwanska
Heather- Former IMG Academy student, still comes back all the time. This is a big opportunity for Heather.
1. Very solid groundstrokes
2. Stands fairly close to to the baseline
3. Excellent movement
4. Lots of confidence in her volleys
5. Return of serve is darn good
6. Serve is a question mark
7. She must go for it, especially on big points
1. Excellent foot speed
2. Has very soft hands in executing her touch shots
3. Does not go for just winners
4. Reaches almost every ball
Julia Goerges Vs. Zheng Jie
1. Big girl and only 24 years old
2. Good 1st serve but you can attack her 2nd serve
3. Improved her forehand
4. Shows little emotion
1. Both serves put her on the defense
2. She dictates play standing close to the baseline with flat groundies
3. She has a very effective slice
4. Forehand breaks down
IF YOU WERE JULIA’S COACH WHAT WOULD YOU DO?? ESPECIALLY WITH HER BEING A SHOT MAKER.
Li Na Vs. Sorana Cirstea
This matchup favors Li Na.
1. Hits the ball early with very little spin
2. Aggressive return of serve
3. Moves real well and is comfortable at the net
4. Has cut down on errors and is getting smarter
1. Hits the tar out of the ball
2. Backhand is strongest
3. Very emotional
4. Good 1st serve and moves her 2nd around
Ana Ivanovic Vs. Jelena Jankovic
The outcome of this match will be decided by the emotions from Jelena. She must look to herself not her coaches. She changes coaches more than I have changed wives.
1. Big girl
2. Played top level tennis but is now too defensive
3. Techniques are a coach’s dream
4. Moves extremely well but must get more aggressive
5. Has trouble closing out matches
1. One of the best movers on the tour
2. Fantastic 2 handed backhand down the line
3. Hits an aggressive forehand
4. Gets too emotional
Novak Djokovic Vs. Radek Stepanek
Radek lives in Bradenton and has trained at the IMG Academy Bollettieri Tennis Program for many years. He is 34 years old and does not have an extra ounce of body fat in his body. He has excellent groundstrokes from both sides. His backhand down the line is very dangerous. He prefers to serve out wide to both sides and he has darn good touch.
There is no reason to write much about Novak. Novak will move Radek around the court and try to breakdown his forehand. I dont see Radek having much of a chance from the backcourt.
He must go for winners and do all sorts of things to confuse Novak and throw off his timing.
David Ferrer Vs. Marcos Baghdatis
David is the most underrated player on the tour and I am sure this doesnot bother him, especially being seeded #4 in the ATP. Once again, he really has no weakness but to win a grand slam he does not have that 1-2 weapon.
Marcos is Marcos and a delight to watch and he should charge a cover for the show he puts on. He has a darn good first serve but an inconsistent 2nd. He has a super backhand down the line but he makes silly mistakes.
This is not a good matchup for Marcos because David will not miss but he should know this going in. To make this a battle, Marcos must keep his temper in check and play aggressive.
Lets see if Marcos tests his rackets by banging them on the ground again.